McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 13 19:14:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Randy Jonasz <rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a developer at McMaster for the EMR OSCAR.  I'm not sure where the
>> negativity is coming from, but as to be expected, I disagree.  McMaster uses
>> OSCAR at all 3 of their clinics with well over 30 000 patients' records.  I
>> personally provide support for another 7 clinics which use OSCAR.  We have a
>> strong user base in BC as well as McGill University in Quebec..  We are just
>> now putting together more accurate numbers of who is using OSCAR.
>>
>> With ubuntu, installing OSCAR for a technically inclined person is
>> painless.  Check out http://indivica.com/?page_id=40 for installation
>> instructions.  We also have documentation on how to use the program on
>> http://www.oscarcanada.org .
>>
>> I have had great satisfaction seeing OSCAR used in many settings; from
>> homeless shelters to teaching clinics, to family physician practices.  It
>> runs on minimal hardware with very good performance.  Check it out.  It's a
>> great alternative to a billion dollar non solution.
>>

> So how many different java web technologies are in there ? Last time I
> checked there was straight JSP, struts, gwt, assorted javascript libraries.
> It is using mysql. Is it using any kind of database OR mapping, or just SQL
> all over the place ? Is there any relational integrity ?

I've worked with Spring, Hibernate, JPA, JSP, and Struts in OSCAR.  The SQL
that was used in JDBC calls is being centralized in a Spring bean.  That job
is a work in progress, but it's coming.  We also use the
scriptaculous/prototype javascript library and a calendar javascript
library. I don't find this a negative.  After all what is wrong with using
3rd party libraries and frameworks?  We don't want to reinvent the wheel all
the time.

> Are you also aware there are people distributing extensions of this without
> all of the source ?

Actually, no I was not.  Do you know who is doing this?

Cheers,

Randy

--
Oscar Developer