McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 13 18:45:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 01:59:33PM -0400, Randy Jonasz wrote:
> I am a developer at McMaster for the EMR OSCAR.  I'm not sure where the
> negativity is coming from, but as to be expected, I disagree.  McMaster uses
> OSCAR at all 3 of their clinics with well over 30 000 patients' records.  I
> personally provide support for another 7 clinics which use OSCAR.  We have a
> strong user base in BC as well as McGill University in Quebec..  We are just
> now putting together more accurate numbers of who is using OSCAR.
>
> With ubuntu, installing OSCAR for a technically inclined person is
> painless.  Check out http://indivica.com/?page_id=40 for installation
> instructions.  We also have documentation on how to use the program on
> http://www.oscarcanada.org .
>
> I have had great satisfaction seeing OSCAR used in many settings; from
> homeless shelters to teaching clinics, to family physician practices.  It
> runs on minimal hardware with very good performance.  Check it out.  It's a
> great alternative to a billion dollar non solution.

Good grief...  mysql for one half of the system, postgres for the other
half, java here, python there.  And pages and pages of instructions
to set it up.  If it's that easy why didn't someone just make a ubuntu
package for it?  Looks like 3/4 of it could be scripted in the .postinst
anyhow.  And cvs checkouts?  Don't they have actual releases?  Nevermind
how bad cvs is at tracking changes.

--
Len Sorensen