McMaster University Creates Open Source eHealth Records System

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 13 18:40:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So how many different java web technologies are in there ? Last time I
> checked there was straight JSP, struts, gwt, assorted javascript libraries.
> It is using mysql. Is it using any kind of database OR mapping, or just SQL
> all over the place ? Is there any relational integrity ?

I see in the source code that there are "init scripts" for Oracle and
PostgreSQL as well...  This may bode either well or ill...

The "ill" part is that when you build to be "totally generic," then
you have to eschew any features that aren't available everywhere,
which, in this case, tends to rule out relational integrity (e.g. -
foreign keys) or having constraint validation.

I did notice the "sin" of tables with scores of columns.  The
alternative, alas, is usually the EAV sin, which I think I'd *less*
rather see...

> Are you also aware there are people distributing extensions of this without
> all of the source ?

What could possibly go wrong with that???  ;-)
Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html