Screen Blanking in X

Tue Oct 13 18:07:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:40:22PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

>I use a plain window manager
>(Openbox) and there aren't any settings.  It looks like Lennart was on
>the right track by pointing out that I have 'Option "DPMS"' in my
>xorg.conf - once I set that to 'Option "DPMS" "FALSE"' and restart X, I
>seem to be in the clear.

There were still times when my screen would go blank, even after the
machinations above.  The final solution was to add these lines to my
.xinitrc:

setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0
xset s off

I think that the first actually stops the screen from blanking in the
console, but whatever the reason, this works.
--

yours,

William