OT: Microsoft's grinning robots or the Brotherhood of the Mac. Which is worse?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 7 18:43:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 12:32:00PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> 2009/10/7 Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
> > Well clearly this particular person doesn't want a good system.
> > He explicitly said so.  He likes dealing with an unreliable system.
>
> No, he *tolerates* an unreliable system. He's simply made the judgement call
> that the grief and stress associated with searching, evaluating, choosing
> and learning a new system exceed the stress and grief of using the status
> quo. He simply thinks that Windows, unreliable as it is, is to him at least
> comfortable and the lesser of the available evils.

Some people just can't let go of their mistakes and start over.  Even when
the payback long term (and probably even short term) is so great.

Some people also seem to be allergic to learning.  Or even thinking in
some cases.  That's too hard.

> > Some people don't believe in listening to advice, they only want to do what
> > they have already decided.  Some people can't admit that their original
> > decision is no longer the best choice.
>
> I think you misread the article. He know Windows sucks, and suspects Apple
> and others are better, but has invested too much time in what he knows to be
> bothered to switch. (AND he can't stand the smugness and arrogance of people
> who insist on reminding him what he already knows...)

I have met some windows evangelists too.  Fortuantely they aren't that
common, but boy are they annoying.

I don't think I misread the article at all.  I think I got it exactly
right.  The author may disagree with me, but I still suspect I am right.

--
Len Sorensen