How To: Windows XP Mode In...Ubuntu Linux?

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 7 17:45:49 UTC 2009

You guys are going to *love* this one; here's an excerpt 10 page
article, the URL will follow:

"With Windows 7 due out later this month, many of you are no doubt
counting the days until release. I've played with both the beta and RC
of Microsoft's latest OS, and quite honestly, I liked what I saw. If
this had come out in 2006 when 'Longhorn' was promised, I have no
doubt that I would not have switched to Linux (at least not yet).

"However, that's not how events played out. What really happened was
'Longhorn' became Vista, and it didn't make it out the door until
2007. It arrived late, buggy, irritating (UAC), overpriced,
underwhelming, confusing (licensing), and in some cases, incompatible.
Now, almost three years later, and almost five since Longhorn's
initially-planned release, Microsoft is releasing the OS they should
have launched several years ago. Unfortunately, Windows 7 is also
overpriced (slightly less so than Vista), and even more confusing.

"But first, let's go over what Microsoft did right. Windows 7 is going
to launch when the company said it will launch. Because of a long beta
and RC testing phase, 7 is not going to be as buggy as Vista was when
it debuted. Microsoft has taken the UAC down a notch. It has also come
down on the price a little. The highest edition of 7 (Ultimate) is
fifty percent more expensive than the highest edition of XP (Pro).
This is opposed to 100% more expensive (Vista Ultimate versus XP Pro).
But fair enough, the price did drop somewhat.

"Underwhelming, 7 is not. In terms of its user interface, Vista was
pretty much XP with a reorganized Start Menu and a black taskbar. Flip
3D was basically nothing more than a choppy gimmick (though the
thumbnail previews of windows within the taskbar are pretty sweet;
Windows 7 kept them, and I use them in Linux). Windows 7 actually
succeeds in terms of a being a unified vision that pays tribute to the
brand. Everything is made of glass in 7. Vista began this trend with
the transparent glass window borders and the overlaid faux-reflection
texture. But 7 really takes the use of transparent glass and
reflections to the extreme. The window borders, menus, some
applications, and even the taskbar and start menu are all made of
glass. New tricks include being able to make all windows transparent
to see the desktop. As a total package, Windows 7 has what I consider
to be the first true Windows theme."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-mode-ubuntu,2434.html

--
Sincerely,