Recent update broke postfix/dovecot

Wed Oct 7 17:34:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 04:25:42PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>I recently updated a Debian testing box, and now mail is not getting
>delivered to dovecot
>
>dovecot seems to be fine - I can log into it and check mail (after a
>tweak to the config file - but there don't seem to be any other tweaks
>required).
>
>postfix seems fine too - but I get "status=deferred (temporary failure)"
>messages all over the place.  I'm at a loss as to what could be the
>problem.  Anyone have any thoughts?

It turns out that dovecot has *three* logfiles of interest.  There are
dovecot.log and dovecot-info.log in /var/log/, and then there is a
dovecot-deliver.log stored elsewhere.  It was in this last log that I
found an error of interest, which quickly resolved the problem.

Speaking of dovecot, they have some of the best error messages I have
seen - the error contains a link to the dovecot wiki describing the
error, its causes, and a variety of resolutions.
--

yours,

William