[OT] folders in gmail

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 7 16:40:58 UTC 2009

I've recent moved my decades of email archives to Gmail and am very happy to
have made the switch ... if for no other reason than to be able to search
those archives in a way that Thunderbird or Evolution never even tried.
Moving conceptually from conventional IMAP folders to Gmail labels takes
some getting used to, but isn't a step down in functionality. I like that I
can assign multiple labels to an email, whereas in IMAP a mail can only go
in one folder.

I also highly recommend that Gmail function that allows you to construct
filters based on emails in your inbox. Either open a message or check
multiple messages (to which you want the same action performed), then go the
"more actions" drop-down and select "Filter messages like these". It then
takes you through one step that helps you refine the criteria of what's
filtered, and a next screen on what to do with them. I find this very
useful; it allows Gmail to move, flag, star or delete anything that you
might want to filter.

Personally, I found the Gmail filters more flexible to use than
Thunderbird's.

- Evan