looking to purchase a Linux compatible laptop ... recommendations?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 6 16:52:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM, bob 295 <icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> A colleague of mine is looking to purchase a new laptop to use with Linux.
> I don't have any real laptop + Linux experience.     Which brand should he be
> looking at?   which distro?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> bob

What features is he looking for? Even a machine with a cheap i915 card
seems to do compiz these days, but recommendations are going to vary
depending on what he needs it for. If it's just web then some cheaper
machine should be fine. If he wants media/graphics then an ATI card
should be OK in most cases. If he wants to run Wine/Cedega and games
then something with an NVidia card is going to be a better bet.

And then there's the smaller options like the EEE's or the mini-10's
too. Less power, more portability.