Laptops Compatible with Virtualization and Linux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 5 03:11:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Is there a review out there of laptops compatible with virtualization
> and Linux.

One of my coworkers has been using VMWare for pretty much this
purpose, for many years now.

He's a FreeBSD guy; his usual combination was to host VMWare atop
Windows, then spawn hordes of FreeBSD instances.  (The usual point
being that they are running PostgreSQL instances that he might kill
off in varying ways to do tests...)

At any rate, VMWare has worked fine for him on a whole bunch of
different laptops since the other end of the decade.  I've seen others
using VMWare for such things on Linux since before that.

There may be merits to having special hardware to support
virtualization, but VMWare started doing this well before that was a
twinkle in Intel's eye.

There may be reasons to avoid VMWare (hey, it's proprietary stuff, so
RMS would not be proud :-)), but it may be worth considering...
Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html