OT: Google Wave

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 2 18:57:14 UTC 2009

Afternoon Christopher

> I would think it rather essential for there to be people (particularly
> in the "free software community") to make sure they are frequently
> making use of server instances that *aren't* operated by Google; that
> helps encourage there *not* to be shenanigans.

I think you misunderstood me. I did not in any way insinuate that we
should all drink google cool aid, far from it. I was only implying
that it may be good software from the reviews I had seem, something
that was triggered  by the earlier post.

Personally, the biggest argument for its success would be html5, I am
not too keen into using it. Seriously, I even never registered as
earlier user or followed its development closely. I did however  read
about it during the course of my news intake.

That being said, I would also say you may be a little too paranoid,
and I say that with respect. You remind me of the book  project they
are involved with. Most people say there is privacy issue involved,
there is monopoly involved etc. This is very correct, but then, its
better to get half a bread than nothing. Seriously, if all we do is
object to google, just because we fear its growing too big, don't we
run a risk of putting them off with no other organization to provide
the service in question?

For example on the book project, if they ever get tied of it and can
it, there is 95% chance  no one will ever pick it again. On the other
hand, if it take off, there will be every incentive to provide
something superior to what they are offering. Heck, and libraries will
still be there if they become assholes. Heck, a book is still better
tp read in paper form that on the screen