OT: Google Wave

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 1 17:18:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It reasonable to believe it will be good. Have seem a couple of
> article of it and its hard to find any that is critical of it. That
> may imply its either very good or they have been so effective at
> selecting the preview people that all are google admirers and can
> never bring themselves to criticize google. I think the later is very
> unlikely.  Or may be, I have not looked hard enough for a critical
> writer.

I would think it rather essential for there to be people (particularly
in the "free software community") to make sure they are frequently
making use of server instances that *aren't* operated by Google; that
helps encourage there *not* to be shenanigans.

Sort of the same way that the very existence of Debian (which is
"forcibly free") encourages folks like Red Hat (who have quite often
been the targets of pretty wildly paranoid suspicions over the years)
to consistently listen to their "better angels."  That is, because
migrating to Debian is a plausible option, this discourages makers of
other distributions from playing overly silly proprietary games.

It's similarly important that "free servers" ("free" in the sense of
"free from Google's influence") be usable/viable...
Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html