Mount same ext3 filesystem in 2 places... at the same time

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 1 09:30:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Anton Verevkin wrote:

> William, I would not be that sure about that. I've just tried such
> double-mount on my Debian system and it has mounted silently, with not
> even a single warning message.

That's because 2 different concepts are being confused here.  I'll cover
them seperately.   Anton did go in to this a bit but I think it will help
to cover it like this:

Q1) Can one filesystem be mounted multiple times on a single system?

A1) On modern Linux systems yes.  Not all modern OSes support this
feature.  On Linux this is known as 'bind mounting'.

Q2) Can one filesystem be mounted on two different directly connected
systems?

A2) Read-only, yes.  For write access the filesystem needs to be a
'clustered filesystem'.  I covered this in more detail in another post.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com