Linux and the New York Stock Exchange

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 30 16:02:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:15:36AM -0500, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> Interesting factoid:
>
> "NYSE's systems run under high pressure and tight constraints. They
> process some three billion transactions per day - more than Google
> does - and those transactions need to execute in less than one
> millisecond. Customers can switch to competing exchanges instantly and
> for almost no cost, so if NYSE's systems are not performing, its
> customers will vanish. A typical trading day involves the processing
> of 1.5TB of data; some 8 petabytes of data are kept online. And this
> whole operation runs on Linux... Downtime is to be limited to 90
> seconds per year."
>
> I would concede this is a bit more hard-core than my Asus netbook
> running Debian Squeeze... :-)
>
> Source: http://lwn.net/Articles/361508/

And of course London is going to use a linux based system, as is a number
of other places (with the same software).  They were using (or were
planning to use) some microsoft software which was apparently not flexible
enough, took to long to get changes made to, too expensive, and too slow.
The linux based system is about 10 times faster at doing trades.

--
Len Sorensen