USB-serial defective in Ubuntu 9.10

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 26 22:35:43 UTC 2009

We use serial-usb to connect to our instruments and we had field reports
that Ubuntu 9.10 was not working. We found that Ubuntu 9.10 has a
defective usb-serial module. Specifically, the ftdi.c code in 9.10 appears
to be defective. The fix, apparently, is to replace it with an earlier
version and recompile. We're recompiling this evening, so we'll find out
if that works.

We also had problems with the install on an HP laptop (model number on
request), with regard to the restricted (proprietary) hardware drivers.
That problem may be specific to this laptop, but the USB bug appears to be
hardware agnostic.

I'd stay away from Ubuntu 9.10 until they've had some time to fix these
problems.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto