mid9 commander ?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 20 15:56:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Matt London <lists-aILacZ9cc/a1Qrn1Bg8BZw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I remember setting a whole bunch of custom stuff up in mc back in the
> 90s and from looking now, it doesn't seem to have changed all that much.
>
> I don't know if it does mime-type checking, but it does look at file
> extensions.
>
> Check out /usr/share/mc/mc.ext (at least it's /usr/share/mc/ on SLED) -
> it specifies how to treat different file types.

Oh, cool.  (NOT!)

It implements a pattern matching language to determine file type based
on the name...

... when *VASTLY* more accurate results would be gotten by using
libmagic to match based on contents, using a commonly available
service.
Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html