mid9 commander ?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 19 21:47:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:00:52PM +0300, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>>
>> That mid9 is just to provoke an answer ;)
>>
>> Somewhat I am confused with that nice tool. I read man - and files
>> listed there are not present on the system.
>>
>> Midnight Commander (I am used to it for 14 years, but am always
>> forgetting details how it works) has quite a lot of nice features I
>> enjoy.
>>
>> For instance, when I choose View on a pdf file - it shows text of pdf
>> file. That means that it "knows" how to parse pdf file and convert it to
>> text. It "knows" as well a lot more, on other files as well. While I am
>> at the moment interested in pdf - I am interested more where to find mc
>> configuration and look into there, and find out what it is doing.
>
> I really really hope mc was smart enough to use the mime types system
> rather than invent its own.  At least that way mc can be totally stupid
> and just do whatever it is told which is how it should be.

It doesn't link to libmagic, or to any MIME libraries, so I don't imagine so.

It's a Miguel de Icaza creation, so it is pretty likely to slavishly
duplicate Microsoft things, that being his typical habit...
Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a
day." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marie_von_ebnereschenbac.html