mid9 commander ?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 19 21:35:48 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:00:52PM +0300, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>
>> That mid9 is just to provoke an answer ;)
>>
>> Somewhat I am confused with that nice tool. I read man - and files
>> listed there are not present on the system.
>>
>> Midnight Commander (I am used to it for 14 years, but am always
>> forgetting details how it works) has quite a lot of nice features I
>> enjoy.
>>
>> For instance, when I choose View on a pdf file - it shows text of pdf
>> file. That means that it "knows" how to parse pdf file and convert it to
>> text. It "knows" as well a lot more, on other files as well. While I am
>> at the moment interested in pdf - I am interested more where to find mc
>> configuration and look into there, and find out what it is doing.
>>

> I really really hope mc was smart enough to use the mime types system
> rather than invent its own.  At least that way mc can be totally stupid
> and just do whatever it is told which is how it should be.

I can not entirely agree.

Right now, we soon are going to have officially one new superstate,
European Union (in Russian it is called "JewroSojuz", which
unintentionally has a reference to "Jewro" which may reference Jews in
Russian, and actually Soviet Union was created de facto by Jews, and
also it has that tricky "Sojuz" in its name, which has awful connotation
in Polish history). Ok, so, they create that "JewroSojuz" and all the
differences between countries will seize to exist, sooner or later. But
these differences are so beautiful!

May be the MC team wants to preserve differences? Why should they go to
slaughter following just one only development way?

Actually, MC does both: it can display PDF as a PDF and it can display
it as a text. Isnt that nice?

I still would like to understand how it displays it as a text.

zb.