One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab cannot yet be mounted

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 16 13:46:08 UTC 2009

Stephen wrote:
> I am getting this error as I boot Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> It is the partition that contains (only) my /home directory. It is
> formatted as ext3.
>
> I suspect that I filled the partition up.
>
> I am downloading a Boot CD.
>
> How can I proceed to  repair?
>
> Is there a data recovery tool?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

Boot the 9.10 live CD, open a terminal and run 'fstab -l'. Then create a
directory under '/mnt' for each partition listed above and then found
them with 'mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/Z' where 'X' is the disk's letter, 'Y'
is the partition number and 'Z' is the directory you made for each
partition (call them whatever makes sense to you).

If you get any errors, post them. If you can mount the root partition,
cat fstab and post it and the output from 'fdisk -l' as a reply.

Simply filling up a partition should not prevent mounting, unless you
filled up '/var' as root and it's dieing because it can't log the mount.
If that is the case, mounting under the live CD should work.

hth

Madi