Where can I test out wifi?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 13 23:19:46 UTC 2009

  It looks pretty good now.  Since I'm running Gentoo, I should've first
looked for http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless/Configuration which
pointed out a few kernel settings I need to make.  Having done that and
rebuilt the kernel, things appear to be working great.

  I followed the examples at...
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Wireless_for_Knoppix_5.3.1_FAQ
The 2 commands

iwconfig wlan0 essid PCLAB1 channel 9
ifconfig wlan0 up

got the wireless up, and "iwlist wlan0 scanning" found 4 networks.  I
didn't try "pump -i wlan0".  That'll wait for a visit to a hotspot.  And
before anyone asks, my iptables settings are not restricted to only
eth0.  I generallized that a long time ago to accomadate dialup.

  My only disappointment with the machine is that Intel has totally
dropped the ball on the linux video driver.  I'm stuck with 1024x768
using the VESA driver instead of the 1366x768 that Windows users get.