Where can I test out wifi?

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 12 18:10:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Marcelo Cavalcante
<kalibslack-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Like James said, WPA2 would be the most security..
> But I always like to increase it using MAC filter.
> In this case you can specify in the router which MAC address are
> allowed to join the network and have access.

If someone has already broken your WPA2, then gleaning the MAC address
of someone using the network and spoofing it is a piece of cake.
Anyone with enough skills to break WPA2 would be able to spoof a MAC
address (or at least have some sort of script/app to do so if they are
a script kiddie).

On the other side of the token, WPA is fine. The only issue is that
you'll want to use WPA-AES instead of WPA-TKIP (which is a choice made
at the access point level, not at the client level). TKIP is the part
that has shown weakness. Though you could just go with WPA2 if you
don't want to be bothered with the choice.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some devices that use wifi only
support no encryption or WEP. IIRC, the NintendoDS is one of these
devices, though they may have updated the firmware at some point to
support WPA/WPA2.
--
Brandon