Google's got a new language... Go...

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 12 05:34:16 UTC 2009

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Christopher Browne wrote:
>>> Google's language...
>>> http://golang.org/
>>>
>>> Note that two of the creators are Ken Thompson and Rob Pike...
>>>
>>> http://golang.org/doc/go_lang_faq.html
>>>
>>> It seems to have some "Plan 9" flavouring to it.
>>>
>> DANG! I just finished learning Ruby.. this one will be interesting to watch,
>> the compile time they show seems to indicate it's fast?
>>

>> Now if it's a script like language & runs like a native compiled language,
>> this may change the future of how website are coded? "GO" web scripting???
>
> No, that misunderstands the point of "Go."
>
> Go is NOT a "scripting language" - it is intended to be a *systems

what was I thinking? I read

"It feels like a dynamic language but has the speed and safety of a static
language. It's a joy to use."

For some reason dynamic language translated into scripting language, I was
thinking meta-dynamic programming like in Ruby and Python and I put "Go" in the
same camp of both script (like) and compiled lang.

> Keep in mind: The people that designed this are the same people that
> originally designed Unix.  I trust their sense of "taste" quite a bit.

The following

s := sum(&[3]int{1,2,3});

looks like fun code, good times for sure =), unfortunately I don't see any UNIX
beauty ;) .... My poor head hurts looking at this line!

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org