Any GoogleWave'res?

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar alexandre.alencar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 10 12:53:24 UTC 2009

Hi all

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > I just got invited to GoogleWave, but I don't think I have a way to send
> out
> > invites. If I get any I will let the list know.
> >
> > If anyone is on GoogleWave already, you can add me at my email addy.
>
> Done, and I've added you to a wave where there has been some
> discussion as to the usefulness of Wave.
>
> A significant problem at this point is that Wave is, as a service, on
> the "lean end" of the so-called Network Effect.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect  The network is not
> valuable, at this point, because there are insufficient quantities of
> users.
>
> Another problem that merits mention here is that, unlike with email,
> there is at this point only one way of participating in Wave, which is
> to connect to Google's servers, which makes it effectively proprietary
> (even if they're using some RFC-ish protocol).
>
> If and when I can run
>  apt-get install wave-federation
> and some can run
>  yum install wave-federation
> and others
>  port-install wave-federation
> then that changes things substantially.
>
> And that actually isn't quite the whole tale...  I'd also like to be
> able to do things like...
>
> PKGS="wave-federation-server wave-federation-pgsql"
>   apt-get install $PKGS
>
> PKGS="erlang-wave-server mnesia-federation-store"
>   apt-get install $PKGS
>
> (Which imply some diversity in implementations of both service and
> data storage!)

The Wave protocol is open and it's already a open source implementation
floating around (developed by Google). You can get it from the Wave protocol
web at http://www.waveprotocol.org/

In a near future, there will be complete suites to make our own Wave
federated servers.

There's an interesting guide from the Lifehacker folks:
> <http://completewaveguide.com/>  The first "chapter" has a pretty good
> characterization of what's weird about Wave.
>
> I love the line "it's like Segway for email."  That implies a
> considerable risk of it being mostly just a curiosity...
> --
> http://linuxfinances.info/info/linuxdistributions.html
> Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
> answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html

Alexandre Alencar (Skarmeth)
http://blog.alexandrealencar.net/
http://www.alexandrealencar.net/