OT: Laptop HD

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 9 17:12:08 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 12:59:16PM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> I got a Compaq Ppresario R4225CA laptop that I want to put in a larger
> hard drive. Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase one locally?
>
> I pulled out the drive, and it's a Segate 100 GB AT Disk Drive, if I
> could buy something online I would buy it, but I don't know the dimension
> of this tiny thing.
>
> Are all AT laptop drive the same size?
> I am looking for a 500 GB HD

Well if it is IDE (44pin connector) then check if it is a 9.5mm or 12mm
thick drive.  Simply measuring it should tell.  A 12mm drive only fits
in machines that take 12mm drives.  A 9.5mm fits in either a 9.5 or a
12mm bay.

I know canada computers sells laptop drives, and probably other stores
do too.

For example:
WD3200BEVE is a 320GB IDE from WD.  It is a 9.5mm drive.  Canada computers has those.

I don't think anyone makes a 500GB IDE laptop drive.  I think only SATA
for the new large sizes.  IDE is simply obsolete and only old models
would use it, so the new drive models won't be coming out for IDE anymore.

--
Len Sorensen