OT: Laptop HD

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 8 02:10:34 UTC 2009

Colin McGregor wrote:
> On 11/7/09, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Colin McGregor wrote:
>>> On 11/7/09, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> (edited for brevity)

>>> There may be an issue here. I have seen some BIOSes that have an upper
>>> limit as to the size of HD they can support. Check up on your laptop
>>> to see:
>>>
>>> - What is the upper limit of the size of HD it can currently support?
>>> - If the above number is too low, see if there is a BIOS upgrade for
>>> your laptop...
>>>
>>> Other than that, keep in mind that you will pay a real premium for a
>>> laptop HD, but otherwise ... have fun.
>> I didn't think of the upper limit and checking what my bios can handle. If
>> the
>> laptop can handle an external 1TB drive connect to USB port, I am guessing
>> it
>> can handle 500 GB internally? Is there a case this might not be true?
>
> The max. size of an internal drive is a question of the OS + BIOS. The
> external dive is just an OS question. So, yes there are situations
> where you can have a working external drive that will not work as an
> internal drive...
>
> You will need to do a little bit of research re: your laptop...

I found out from the tech guy at TigerDirect that if my system is not older than
4yrs I should be ok with a 500 GB drive. I ended up settling for 320 GB,
installed Kubuntu 9.04 x86_64 on it, it's working like a charm... WinXP has been
replaced and may live again in VirtualBox. I could have done the dual boot, but
really I'm happy with Linux. I get all the Windows at work I can handle ;)

I've extended the life of my laptop for a few more years, mother earth will be
happy. Funny I got a government tax for disposal, I mean *dumping* the HD. I
told them for what? so they can dump all the crap in South Africa??

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org

Do Good! - Share Freely, Enrich and Empower people to Transform their lives.