hoping to clarify standard video resolutions

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 7 14:44:02 UTC 2009

2009/11/1 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org>:

>  i'm currently considering getting a new laptop with better screen
> res that the one i have now (1280x800), and i'm going slightly bonkers
> trying to keep up with everyone's slightly shifting definitions of
> video standards, so let me be a bit verbose.
>
>  let's start here --
> http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/NoteVidSpec.htm -- where we
> allegedly see a list of official screen resolutions:
>
>    * WVGA: 800x480
>    * SVGA: 800x600
>    * WSVGA: 1024x600
>    * XGA: 1024x768
>    * WXGA: 1280x800 or 1366x768
>    * SXGA: 1280x1024
>    * SXGA+: 1400x1050
>    * WXGA+: 1440x900
>    * WSXGA+: 1680x1050
>    * UXGA: 1600x1200
>    * WUXGA: 1920x1200 or 1920x1080
>
> first, note the two possibilities for WXGA -- lately, i've seen
> 1366x768 labelled as "HD WXGA", which would make sense, i can live
> with that.
>
>  what is a bit puzzling is where that resolution came from.  i've
> seen the explanation that that's the largest native resolution that is
> still 16:9 and could fit into 1Meg of pixels -- in short, a totally
> arbitrary set of values that is simply pushed to the limit.  it sounds
> good, except that 1366*768 = 1049088, which is *larger* than 1Meg,
> which is 1048576.  so that explanation doesn't really make sense,
> unless that slight overage doesn't hurt anything.
>
>  and here's where i'm going with this.  how does all this match up
> with *video* standards?   because, these days, it makes sense when
> selecting a laptop to try to get one that's compatible with HDTV
> standards, no?
>
>  as i read it, HDTV is defined as having a 16:9 aspect ratio, the two
> standard resolutions being 1280x720 (720p), and 1920x1080 (1080i,
> given that 1080p is still way too high-end for consumer stuff, yes?)
> however, you can certainly purchase 1366x768 HD TVs that advertise
> being 720p.  i assume that means the incoming signal is upscaled to
> fit in 1366x768.
>
>  and to tie this back to laptops, if i'm willing to spend more to
> get better resolution, where are laptop resolutions going these days?
> making any effort to converge on HD TV standards?  i was at future
> shop a while back and asked the salesweasel about models with full
> WUXGA (1920x1200) res, and he told me that they rarely see those
> anymore, as all laptop manufacturers are moving over to 1920x1080,
> allegedly to match HD 1080i.
>
>  it's even more annoying now that i'm seeing various laptops with
> screen resolutions of 1440x900 (yes, that's 1.6:1, HD aspect ratio)
> being marketed as being "900p".  to the best of my knowledge, there is
> no such video standard as 900p.  (i suspect that, in short order, i'll
> run across 1680x1050 being marketed as "1050p", another non-existent
> 1.6:1 standard.)

> [...]

"High-definition video may be stored on Blu-ray ROM discs with up to
1920×1080 pixel resolution at up to 60 frames per second interlaced or
24 frames per second progressive ..."  Note the "up to" part: that
would seem to be the top end.  If you want a target to aim for, that
would be it.  I believe this is also the target resolution for
up-converted DVDs.  Personally, I find screens with a 16:9 resolution
a bit too wide and short for computer work, so I'd try for something
1920 wide but taller than 1080.

I'm afraid I also think that using the term "standards" in reference
to the jungle you laid out is a little over-hopeful - "standards"
implies consistency, and you make it pretty clear it's gone out the
window.  Just look at the pixel resolution, and get what suits you.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org