OT: Telus "3G" network?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 6 22:05:07 UTC 2009

Sorensen,

> of the world.  I believe all 3 intend to roll out LTE (or whatever 4G
> is called).  Perhaps someone finally realizes that being tied to a
> single supplier (Qualcomm) with a bad attitude isn't good for business
> long term, and that being able to have your users roam anywhere in the
> world is profitable.

Well said. Basically, choosing CDMA was a very bonehead move on their
side. It was doomed from the word go because of patent. Well, that
would have been ok if there was no patent free alternative, but in
this case, GSM did have that property. This meant everybody except
North Americans went GSM and it took the lion share of the market.
Handset manufactures therefore tended to release all the nice phones
for GSM, and CDMA phones were mostly an after thought.  And as if
market share disadvantage was not enough,  Qualcomm was not helping to
say the least.

They actually initially wanted to wait until LTE comes out around
2011. However, they realized waiting that long would have essentially
sealed their fate, considering all the nice smart phones are GSM
based. By 2011, majority of the people in developed country should be
carrying around a smart phone.

So, essentially, they have spent around half a billion on GSM, and in
2011 roll out again a LTE network. They might not break even on this
investment, but at least, it kind of assist in retaining their current
user base. Do not feel bad at the death of CDMA, and its kind a good
lesson to the pro patent mindsets

Regards,