NFS alternatives?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 5 19:01:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Matthew Godycki <mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a situation at work that is ideally solved by use of NFS (need for
> a single logical file system underpinning a variety of servers and application
> server clusters).  Since I'm looking for an infrastructure solution, NFS seems
> like the perfect fit.
>
> However, as I understand it, over the years there have been various
> concerns about security and vulnerabilities associated with NFS.
>
> Are there any alternatives to NFS out there that provide the same type of
> service, but, without the security concerns?  I'm working with our network
> and system admin folks but want to make sure I do some of my own
> digging around as well, to be more educated in my chats with them ;)

In principle, options ought to include:

- OpenAFS
- 9P (from Plan 9)
- Coda
- Intermezzo

Some of those are pretty heavy on administrative overhead; none are as easy as:
On server
  echo "/path/to/export 192.168.0.22(rw,async)" >> /etc/exports
  SIGHUP nfs server process

On client
  echo "server:/path/to/export /path/to/mount nfs" >> /etc/fstab
Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html