Debian upgrade gone wrong - hostname: Name or service not known

Wed Nov 4 19:57:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 04:24:06PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>>I have encountered one of the rare occasions where a Debian upgrade goes
>>wrong:

>Check that '/etc/hostname' contains just the name of your system
>followed by a new line and nothing else. Then try running 'hostname
><machinename>' and hit enter. Then try again.

Interestingly, though I got around this problem by stomping on netatalk,
it is still broken and causing problems with amavis.

Symptom:

# hostname
  returns the subdomain (this machine is a subdomain - this is as expected)

# hostname --fqdn [-f]
  returns hostname: Name or service not known

/etc/hosts looks fine, as does /etc/hostname

This stopped working because of a dist-upgrade, no changes to any
configurations.

How does "hostname" work?  Why could it be barfing?  Thanks again.
--

yours,

William