Report on piracy using plagiarized text and distorted numbers

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 31 14:47:25 UTC 2009

Sorry, this probably should be OT. There is one issue that may
be related, though:

> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/canada-ip-battlelines-plagiarized-report-piracy-guesses.ars
>> Canada IP battlelines: "plagiarized" report, piracy "guesses"
>> He had quite a bit to say, and it's worth quoting at some
>> length:
>> Briefly put, IDC bases its piracy rates and loss estimates on
>> a model that includes many well-established, authoritative
>> data sets, including figures on new PC shipments, the
>> installed PC base, new software shipments, and average
>> software prices in each country. Data on the average amount
>> of software loaded on PCs in a given country is based on more
>> than 6,000 end-user surveys in 24 countries, plus reams of
>> similar data from previous years.

This make me wonder whether the survey is good enough to cover
free open source software usage in a particular country - e.g.
Canada. Basically, if individuals - or even corporations -
purchase some hardwares - without purchasing any softwares since
they plan only to use FOSS with self / internal support - can
these hardwares mistakenly counted into the estimated number of
pirated software users? In other word, will / was Linux and
other FOSS actually part of those estimated "pirated software
numbers"?

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/

Disclaimer: IANAL, IANALP, IANAMD, IANAMP, IANAAP
my statements - if any - should be treated as such.