Open Internet Town Hall in Toronto on June 8

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 28 18:30:57 UTC 2009

This might be interesting for some; from the page at
http://saveournet.ca/toronto :

Open Internet Town Hall (Toronto)

SaveourNet.ca is Partnering with Rabble.ca for a very special event.
Held during Net Change Week in Toronto, SaveourNet.ca and Rabble.ca
will present Toronto’s Open Internet Town Hall, which will be filmed
by TheREALNews.com.
Where:

Live from the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto, 1214 Queen St. West

When: Monday June 8, 2009 at 7pm

Featured speakers for the Town Hall include:
Mark Surman (Executive Director of the Mozilla Foundation)
Rocky Gaudrault (CEO of Teksavvy Solutions Inc.)
Steve Anderson (Co-founder of SaveourNet.ca)
Derek Blackadder (National Representative with CUPE)

Until now, Canada’s Internet has been an open network and a level
playing field for free speech, innovation, and consumer choice. All
that is now under threat.

Being held during Net Change Week in Toronto, Toronto’s Open Internet
Town Hall is designed to give local citizens the chance to shape
Canada’s broadband future. As Canada falls behind other OECD countries
on Internet speed, cost, and openness, SaveourNet.ca will host a
lively discussion guided by panelists representing web innovators,
social change leaders, and public policy gurus.

We will gather citizen testimony that SaveOurNet.ca’s Steve Anderson
will use to guide his presentation to the CRTC at the July 6 “Traffic
Management” hearing. We will also record the town hall meetings and
present video testimonials to the CRTC and share them online.
Information gathered at the town hall meeting will also help us
develop the “Open Internet Declaration” which we will put before MPs
and policy makers.

We want to engage the public in discussion on what the future of the
Internet should look like by addressing the following questions:

* How can we ensure Internet services for everyone in Canada?
* How do we expand consumer choice and lower costs for Internet services?
* How can the Internet be a catalyst for economic growth, jobs, and prosperity?
* How do we preserve the Internet’s level playing field so everyone
can access the content, applications, and services of their choice?
* What roles should the federal government, local governments, private
industry, and everyday citizens play to build a better Internet?
* What can and should citizens do right now?

Toronto’s Internet Town Hall will be held in the historic Gladstone
Hotel Ballroom

1214 Queen Street West, Toronto

Monday 8 June, 2009

7 - 10pm

$10 – the associated cost will cover venue rental and production costs.

For more information about the campaign, visit http://saveournet.ca/

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/   @psema4