OT: Is H.264 a suitable archive format for Video?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Thu May 28 01:55:26 UTC 2009

interesting question,
i capture 1080i and 720p from my cable box and ps3 using the haupauge HD capture device (to linux via usb2.0),
i haven't had much luck converting it to other forms without some degradation, but that could just be the nature of the beast.
I haven't always had perfect playback on Linux, but its mostly good.

as for archive, i am thinking, suitable?
suitable by:
(1) codec still around in years to decode?
(2) legal issues (sort of related to above) ?
(3) ability to overcome bit errors on the media, and how bad it makes "recovering it"?
(4) does it compress well?

I know its very popular, but I have also heard there maybe legal issues brewing.
Since linux plays it now, I am sure it will stay that way in the future (even if it means getting a "illegal" codec).
I am not sure its recover ability, i think its probably just screwed until the next I-frame.
I have found it compresses well, and typical hardware of todays desktop decodes it adequately.
I would be interested in other feed back, of a better codec, or maybe one slightly worst in compression, but better in the
other areas, but for now, i am just saving away video exactly how the haupauge takes it down, as 264.
i put the files on a bluray to my ps3, and they played, i tried a conversion, and it didn't work, but haven't played with it much.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>