The Zen of Kibitzing (Was: Hecklers)

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 27 22:50:54 UTC 2009

2009/5/27 Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>:
> As a previous TLUG speaker [1] and a mostly regular attendee of the TLUG
> meetings I feel I need to weigh in on this subject.
>
> This 'heckling' (which is a loaded term to begin with), is not actually by
> definition heckling. It Generally is, to quote Robert Brockway's earlier
> post:
>
>  1) Comments/annecdotes related to the topic that are sometimes amusing
>  and sometimes intended to show off knowledge of the subject.
>
>  2) Insightful questions that raise important points.

"heckle: to harass (a public speaker, performer, etc.) with
impertinent questions, gibes, or the like; badger."

Yes, "heckling" is a loaded term.  And by the strict definition of the
term, it's not what goes on at a TLUG meeting.  Robert's analysis is
accurate, but I'm afraid it's a little generous.

In the name of full disclosure I should mention that I'm both a
previous presenter (Window Managers, about two years ago) and next
month's TLUG speaker (the GIMP) so I hope I don't alienate anybody too
much.  But what I'm saying is coming from my perspective as an
occasional attendee, not presenter.

Questions I'm okay with.  Humour is good if A) it's funny, and B) it's
in _small_ quantities.  Sometimes the jokes are very funny - but they
can be too numerous.  And the expansion on technical subjects bothers
me because the presenter has made a decision _not_ to go into more
depth on the subject, so we're into the "intended to show off
knowledge of the subject" area which is unnecessary and also
implicitly questions the presenter's choice of content.  It may be
educational, but it isn't what we came to hear.

I'd like to re-iterate: this has been my feeling as an attendee, not
as speaker.  When I presented I laid down ground rules (as Scott
mentioned), taking questions on the fly but asking people not to
expand on technical points.  I thought it went well and I was happy to
have done the presentation.  But as an attendee, the interruptions of
other speakers drive me crazy - and just as important, make a
relatively short talk too long.  It's the reason I attend
infrequently.  I know that the other speakers can lay down ground
rules (if they attend TLUG themselves and know to do so) and probably
don't because they're okay with the chatter, but it still bothers me.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org