Slow tranfers to USB drive

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 25 02:25:41 UTC 2009

I'm seeing very slow transfer speeds to my USB2 multimedia drive. It's down to
about 1MB/s right now, which is pretty painful. All other USB2 devices like my
thumb drive are 'normal', ie. I usually see about 10 MB/s, give or take.

Is it possible that this one drive (fat32) is becoming fragmented, and this is
impacting the transfer speeds? If this is a potential cause, how would I go
about defragmenting a fat32 drive without access to Windows?