Broadcasters Want Bailout

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat May 23 17:09:02 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> |
> | A bit off topic, but something of interest to most.
> | http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/AboutShaw/BroadcastersWantBailout.htm
>
> This campaign by the networks infuriates me.  For the last week, every
> 23:30 local news on CFTO ends with an item inviting us to an open
> house so they can pitch us.  They say that "for over 50 years we've
> been giving to the community and now it is time for you to come to our
> support.  The cable companies take our signal without paying for it."
> I love the word "take" -- I hope they left some signal for others.

They also seem to be missing the point that cable & satellite companies
expand a broadcaster's audience, which should result in increase ad revenue.
> The whole network concept is based on a monopoly: there is a shortage
> of over-the-air channels so they get organized as networks.

I'm not sure monopoly applies here, as there are multiple players.
> Cable channel slots are in much larger supply (but the cable companies
> themselves are a monopoly, of course).
>
> The networks could get fee-for-carriage for their signals if they
> dropped the over-the-air channel -- that's what the current
> regulations allow for.  They just want it both ways.

They also forget to mention that they're often substituted for American
stations. Perhaps that should be dropped too.
> The cable companies hands are not clean in my mind.  If they complain
> about being charged for what is free in local over-the-air, they
> should not be encrypting those same signals.  In the US, local
> over-the-air signals must be carried in the clear.

Of course, this tax does not apply to over the air viewers, only those
on cable or satellite. Seems a bit unfair to me.