Gnome equiv. to Kate?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 22 19:55:42 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   I've been using kate for some time now, but I've found that since the
last few distro versions it has gotten slow as heck. I've got a 2.1GHz
CPU and 2GB of RAM and it can take several seconds just to have things
like switching between files, opening dialogs and such.

   I am wondering if running a KDE app under Gnome is to blame or if
it's changes in the KDE system, but it's barely usable these days. Can
anyone recommend an equivalent?

   All I really care about is an editor that supports a list of open
files (on the left, preferably) with syntax highlighting. I'm pretty
simple that way.

Thanks!

Madi