submit info on why floss is good - to Vancouver .. re: CBC article

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri May 22 02:04:16 UTC 2009

The City of Vancouver is inviting the public to provide feedback on this motion.

The motion calls for the city to endorse the principles of:

    * Making data open and accessible by sharing as much of it as possible while respecting privacy and security concerns.
    * Adopting open standards for data, documents, maps and other media.
    * Placing open source software on equal footing with "commercial systems."

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/05/19/tech-open-city-vancouver-standards-source-data-reimer.html

I would love to email them, but it got me thinking about a previous thread on this list, can't remember specifically,
but it had people on the list quickly trying to submit a pro-floss document to someone (to lazy to check back in email),

so anyways, this is probably something where the TLUG should submit (as a whole?), and perhaps people can
pull great stuff out of the last similar exercise?

I am sure, given this is on CBC, and linux today . com
many on the list will be striking up emails on it.
Hopefully, they (politicians) are serious, and this can go somewhere.

Gonna go read some of the comments on the CBC forum at bottom if it, seems to be a popular article,
well maybe not a popular as the Mulroney inquiry!

it also says in the article (have not read it all but)

"So far, she said, only a few other cities such as Washington, D.C., San Francisco and Toronto have started moving toward this kind of increased openness."
What i miss? what is toronto doing on this front? moving maybe? but not actually there?

--
ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>