Free to a good home: Compaq Deskpro EN

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 20 23:08:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Salman Ahmed <fia_wrc_fanatic-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have a non-functioning Compaq Deskpro EN SFF (small form factor) PC that might be of use to someone who can fix it. This PC has a dead or damaged PSU - either it can be repaired or replaced.
>
> This PC had been running Debian perfectly for a few months until about two weeks ago when a power fluctuation knocked it out. I now regret not having it on a UPS.
>
> Googling for this type of problem revealed that it is a "Power Supply Crow Bar" which means that the PSU has died. However, since this SFF PC uses a non-standard PSU I can't be bothered to look for a replacement.
>
> The PC's specs are: PIII 733MHz CPU, 128Mb PC100 SD-RAM, CD-ROM drive, built-in 10/100 NIC, built-in VGA (or SVGA) graphics, >= 2 USB 1.0 ports.
>
> This PC is being offered as is without monitor, mouse, keyboard, HDD, or any cables to anyone who can pick it up and repair it. You just need to find a replacement PSU and add an IDE HDD and you'll have a very quiet and compact PC for running Linux.
>
> Pickup only from near Don Mills Rd & Eglinton Ave.

Just a thought for anyone that's interested in this and wanted to use
the existing case (or if Salman wants to give it a try). The DC-DC
PSU's that work for mini-ITX boards might be OK for this one,
depending on how many watts the system actually uses.

I know you can find them on ebay for around $50, but it might also be
possible to find them somewhere around College+Spadina etc. They look
like this one (not my auction, but for example)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/PW-200-M-200W-DC-DC-Mini-ITX-ATX-12V-Power-Supply-PSU_W0QQitemZ120422725621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_UPS?hash=item120422725621&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I have a via mini-ITX box that burned out the weird proprietary PSU. I
just screwed the DC input into the outside of the case, and took old
the old PSU to install a fan. Now I use it with a DC-DC PSU and a 12V
brick. In my case 12V 5A was more than enough for my little machine,
but again I'm not sure how much this one might draw. Being that it is
apparently a "mini" board it might be low-consumption as well?

- TJA