glibc fork, to some extent

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 20 17:07:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 03:44:53AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> EGLIBC is a fork of GLIBC.  Except it intends to track GLIBC.  So I don't
> know how forky it will be.  Debian is switching the EGLIBC.
>
> One major cause seems to be Ulrich D's prickliness.
>
> This does not seem stable.  No, not UD's prickliness -- that seems stable.
> I mean the fork, sort of, status.  It will be interesting to see where it
> goes in, say, the next year.
>
> http://blog.aurel32.net/?p=47

Well remember egcs?  That eventually became gcc from which it had forked.
The gcc 2.x series died out.  glibc may see the same thing happen to
it if its main developers end up being as hopeless to deal with as the
original gcc developers were.

Once someone like debian picks it up, I don't think it is going to die.
After all once debian goes there, ubuntu is quite likely to, as well
mepis, knoppix, etc.  Should fedora/redhat or suse go there too, then
the original glibc may simply become irrelevant.

--
Len Sorensen