Narcoleptic Presentations

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 19 17:05:15 UTC 2009

On 09-05-19 12:27 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 12:00 -0400, Maureen Thornton wrote:
>> As I am not a programmer but a learner, oft times a straight lecture
>> will put me to sleep. I get lost as things get more complicated but
>> the personalization of those in attendance show me the how's and why's
>> of the lecture.
>
> What are the things that speakers can do to make their presentations
> less sleep-inducing?

Richard,

I agree with Maureen: encouraging interaction/questions is good. It adds
to an otherwise monotone atmosphere, even when the presenter is a great
speaker. Too much interaction is not good.. its values tends to diminish
over time and the momentum of the delivery is affected, the topic
doesn't stay on course.

I'd suggest making shorter talks but the content of the talks have often
been less than an hour if no questions were asked. I think 45 minutes
with 15 min of question (spread throughout and/or at the end) works
well. I'd prefer if we focus on asking/commenting the most relevant ones
during the talk and save the rest for the end.

Examples/demonstrations that somehow involve the audience also work
well, even if it's just to ask them questions "How many people here have
used X?" to keep them attentive.

I think having the lights turned on (or, brighter) during the
presentation would help as well.

It's a hard slot.. 7:30 PM, after supper -- this is why we don't work or
go to school at this time .. well.. most of us don't :)

Marc

--
Human knowledge belongs to the world.
   -- Teddy Chin in 'Antitrust' (ref: open source software)