Slides from May talk now available

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 19 14:33:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 01:25:27AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> No, it wasn't :)  People have said this to be a few times but I was
> principally thinking about a discussion at a party many years ago.

Yeah, raid is simply to protect against disk failure and nothing else.
It isn't backup, it isn't protection against corruption, or user error.

The avsim site must have realized by now that mirroring doesn't replace
backups.

> Yes, I talk about backup strategies at parties ;)

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

> These are some good points.
>
> One option is to keep md5 hashes of files and use them to verify the
> backups.   This is not something I've put in my custom backup system yet
> but perhaps I should.

btrfs is going to CRC32 each data block in the filesystem.  That might
be helpful.

> Absolutely.  Disaster Recovery Testing (DRT) is an essential component of
> a backup strategy.

And if you use tape, make sure you have a tape drive somewhere else that
you know can read the tapes.  The fact you can restore it with the tape
drive that made the tape doesn't help if the building burt down.

--
Len Sorensen