Slides from May talk now available

Ken Burtch ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 18 19:52:47 UTC 2009

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the slides.

I hope "Don't backup ... use RAID 1" was not referring to my blog entry
a couple of months ago.

Just to be clear (if it was me): I was talking about data
integrity...ensuring corrupted files aren't written to the backup.  With
modern drives and terabytes of data that lingers for years, that photo
of your mom you took 10 years ago getting corrupted is a real problem.
I've got Apple II files that I can no longer generate sitting on my
website and they are irreplaceable.  Any one of them could get ruined by
a single bad block but would still be blissfully written to a backup
disk or tape without anyone being the wiser.  I don't know why a thread
got started on TLUG that said that RAID 1 made backups unnecessary.
Clearly those people didn't read my article.

For disaster recovery, I think that the most critical point one could
make is that making backups is useless if you can't restore from them,
so a practice restore is always required to ensure the the backups are
backing up the right information and in a usable form for recovery.
Backup up the database directory, while the database is actively
running, is a good example of getting data in a form that cannot be used
for recovery.  This may not be realized until a restore is attempted.

Have a good long weekend.

Ken B.

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 18:35 -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> http://www.timetraveller.org/talks/backup_talk.pdf
>
> Some small additions and corrections are planned as I'll use the slides
> again one day.
>
> Rob

Ken O. Burtch                                    Phone/Fax: 905-562-0848
  "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"              Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
  "Perl Phrasebook"              Blog: http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder.html