Possible future talk; interest?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 17 02:14:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  So then, would there be any interest in an intermittent talk about Perl? I
> was thinking along the lines of "Introduction to Writing Perl Modules",
> "Introduction to Object Oriented Perl" or something similar/variation
> of/combination of.

Let me be devil's advocate for a moment...

There is a perfectly good Perl users group in Toronto, called Toronto
Perl Mongers.  http://to.pm.org/

It seems to me as though people that are interested in Perl (I happen
to find myself not in that set) are more likely to find that to be a
preferable forum for this.

I could be wrong, but I think it is worth your thinking it thru to
ensure that you feel confident that you are presenting
"forum-appropriately."

There may very well be a cross-section where it *IS* worthwhile to
present such at TLUG.

I was at a conference the other month (PGEast) where there was
supposed to be a PostgreSQL focus.  I accidentally wound up at a talk
on Groovy-on-Grails (a Java equivalent to Ruby-on-Rails) where the
speaker barely touched on PG-relevant issues, which seemed a problem,
at first.  (And seemingly making it all hugely irrelevant to me :-).)
Surprisingly, I was the question-meister in that talk, with some
fairly mean questions; it turned out that there were some mighty
interesting bits relating to database schema management where we were
able to satisfy everyone that there are sane ways of managing Grails
deployments.  You're not forced to make DBAs cross :-).

That was a pleasant surprise, to find it was relevant when it
initially did not seem so.

One other warning:  There's some HUGE opinionated positions on Perl at
TLUG; Drew has a history of getting enormously over-enthusiastic about
Perl 6 stuff, and that's got a fair risk of looking like heckling :-).

I'm not saying "don't do it" - but I'm not sure the same talks would
be good for TLUG and TPM...
Laurence J. Peter  - "Originality is the fine art of remembering what
you hear but forgetting where you heard it." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/laurence_j_peter.html