Hecklers (was Possible future talk; interest?)

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 16 17:39:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 12:26 -0400, Meng Cheah wrote:
> Richard Weait wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 15:53 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> >
> >> Talks at TLUG meetings tend to be "intermittent" because of all the
> >> hecklers.  ;-)
> >>

> > Is the heckling one of the benefits of TLUG meetings?
> >
> I thought they were contributors to the talk :-)

Heckling presenters at TLUG is mentioned once in a while on this list
and during and after presentations.  I guesstimate that "attendee
contributions" at TLUG are two to four times more frequent than the
other dozen LUGs I've attended in the last year.

Meng Cheah's smiley above, suggests that hecklers are not contributing
to the talk.

Would anybody like to discuss the place of heckling at TLUG meetings?

Is the heckling one of the benefits of TLUG meetings?  Is it a sign of
rapt attention and engagement in the presentation?  Is it a sign of
respect for the speaker?  Is it a benefit to the LUG in general, to the
attendee contributor, to the other attendees and to the speaker?