openwrt: what routers just plain ***work***?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 14 17:35:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Giles Orr wrote:

> What I've read suggests that making the list you want is extremely
> difficult because manufacturers quietly and sometimes frequently
> change the chips in their routers - often without bothering to
> change the router name or even part or version number.  Thus we have
> lists that say things like "Bonehead wireless router X5 (with red
> faceplate)" because the faceplate is actually the easiest way to
> distinguish the chipset!
>
> Yes, it's a pain in the ass to navigate the lists.  Remember that
> you're intentionally bypassing the manufacturer's intentions, and
> usually voiding the warranty.  Let me re-state: they don't want you
> to do this, and do not feel compelled to make it easy.
>
> All that said, I'm with you: I wish that list existed.  :-)

  yes, all of the above is correct.  still, i can't imagine that it
would be that hard to have, say, a "top 5" list of routers for
openwrt.  people make lists all the time, why not a short list of
routers that have proven themselves to work with openwrt?  and if
something suddenly changes, i suspect that that would be noticed in
short order and the list could be modified.

  it really is frustrating since there's all this information out
there, but there's no single place you can go to answer the question,
"what router would you recommend?"  and i think that's a major failing
at the moment.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday