When trying to print in evolution, evolution shuts down and does not print?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue May 12 13:32:00 UTC 2009

in cases like this,
running the program from shell, so you get output, is very valuable,
and sometimes, there is switches (like -v -vv) to get more verbage.
with evolution, there are some background tasks as well, so it might
be a bit trickier. You probably launch evo from a graphic click,
what you need to do is find out what binary it is running,
i.e. go to properties on the item you click,
to see what the actual launch program/path is to the binary.
then open up a shell window (not as root but as the normal
desktop user), and run the evolution command from in there.
It may dump some interesting info. Also run
the command (say its called evolution) with a -help or --help
at end to get any info about advanced debugging.
In particular, note what the shell is showing at time of
crash.

also you may want to see how old your evolution is,
and upgrade, this may not fix it, but never hurts to
upgrade , if your copy is ancient.

in some cases interesting info is dumped to the systems error log,
type
dmesg
in a shell to see at that time if there is a issue of something complaining,
also
tail -40 /var/log/messages

as a work around, or as other experimenting,

can you print to a pdf/ps file? and when you do does it crash?
if not, then go into another app, say evince and look at pdf
and then print it. also, does every attempt to print fail (from any app),
or just some, or just evo?
you might want to save email as a text, and print it in OO-word
for now until this issue is sorted out.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>