Can Windows 7 RC dual boot?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 11 13:11:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 11:25:02PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > I just installed windows 7 rc (build 7100) on my new laptop (repkacing
> > vista home basic) and then installed debian testing afterwards, and grub
> > thinks it found vista, but everything works fine.
> >
> > As usual, install windows _first_, then the other OS.
> >
> As I said,
> > I'm hoping I can set it up to be the third bootable partition on a
> > system that already has Linux and XP setups that I don't want to destroy.
> Any suggestions? The best I've heard so far is to install the Win7 and
> let its bootloader install, then boot from an Ubuntu Live CD and
> reinstall GRUB.
>
> http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_installed.htm?page=6
>
> I've never used grub's command line before. Are there easier solutions?

A windows install WILL destroy your existing boot loader.  As a result
there is nothing simpler than somehow restoring your boot laoder after
the fact.

If you have a floppy drive you can simply boot from a grub floopy,
set the root drive, load the config file, and boot your linux system,
then add the windows drive to the grub menu, and run grub-install again
(usually grub-install /dev/sda or /dev/hda).

You can also make a cd with floppy boot emulation with a grub floppy to
do the same thing.  Both ways are easier in my opinion that the use of
a live cd.

--
Len Sorensen