SIP providers, VOIP phones, and Linux

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 10 02:38:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Alex Kink <alexkink-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> For a very basic setup you can just get a SIP phone or a
> SIP adapter (you can check a place like canadianvoipstore.com for ideas)
>
> Then get a VoIP account with a provider who has good international rate
> and configure your SIP phone/adapter to use that account.
>
> Ofcourse you can always go with Skype that has great call quality
> and great rates.
>
> -Alex
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> My girlfriend does a fair bit of long-distance and international
>> long-distance calling. We've actually moved out of Toronto so some of
>> the cheaper VOIP providers aren't necessarily available, but I was
>> thinking that it might make more sense just to pick up a standalone
>> wifi/VOIP phone and do things myself.
>>
>> However, I'm not really sure about where to get started on it all.
>> I've got a lower-consumption 'nix server that runs pretty much
>> constantly which could handle the software angle of things, but what
>> would I do to get connected with a dialout # and, further to that, how
>> would I then tie that into a VOIP phone (or heck, even do it with the
>> VOIP phone and not needing the server).
>>

>> Any ideas/suggestions?
>>

>> - TJA
>>
>> --
>> Tyler Aviss
>> Systems Support
>> LPIC/LPIC-2
>> (778) 890-0942
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Skype was going to be the fallback option, and certainly there are
plenty of "skype phones" out there, but it would be cool if I could
manage to get things going without it. My main issues with skype is
that it does some fairly funky things to networks to ensure a
connection, and can be a bit of a resource hog at times as well.

Setting up my own VOIP gateway or PBX seems to be more fun as a geek
project, and with that I could find something fun in the iPhone
jailbroken repositories to connect to my server when I'm at home.