Can Windows 7 RC dual boot?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 8 20:43:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:03:34PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> I'm downloading the ISO of the publicly-available Windows 7 RC from the
> Microsoft website. This version expires in June 2010 so there's time to
> play and then wipe it out.
>
> Has anyone else here tried it? How well does it coexist with Linux? Can
> it install to an empty partition or does it insist on filling the disk?
> I'm hoping I can set it up to be the third bootable partition on a
> system that already has Linux and XP setups that I don't want to destroy.

I just installed windows 7 rc (build 7100) on my new laptop (repkacing
vista home basic) and then installed debian testing afterwards, and grub
thinks it found vista, but everything works fine.

As usual, install windows _first_, then the other OS.

The windows installer has no issue with making a partition that isn't
the entire drive.  It will want to make two partitions (a small system
reserved one and a main one for windows).  Linux can then have a primary
partition for root and logical partitions for swap and other stuff or LVM.

Installing it on a machine that already has stuff is not likely to
go well.

It will require being the first partition of the first drive.
No exceptions (this is true of vista as well), at least based on what
I have read.  I have never had much luck with most windows versions
trying to put them anywhere other than first.

--
Len Sorensen