Lone Coder: The Cost Risks of Programming Standards

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 7 20:16:09 UTC 2009

On 2009-05-06, Ken Burtch <ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Fair enough.  Can we agree that some efforts to deploy programming
> standards lack an understanding of the purpose for which the standards are
> being deployed, turning them into an ego or power exercise?  Although
> risks cannot be perfectly assessed, surely some common sense questions
> like "is what we're enforcing really addressing the issues" are valuable.

There lies the issue of how to keep policies from taking on too much
of a life of
their own.

This is a grander issue than it appears at first glance.

Our legal framework encounters much the same kinds of problems, where,
over time, things can change so that laws and regulations created for other
contexts cease to "really address the issues."  The controversies surrounding
copyright and such like are a good example of that.